How does Invisalign work?
Invisalign takes a modern approach to straightening teeth, using a custom-made series of aligners to gradually and gently shift your teeth into place.
This series of aligners are created for you, and only you. These aligner trays are made of smooth, comfortable, and virtually invisible plastic that you wear over your teeth. They are manufactured very specifically so they will shift your teeth based on the exact movements Dr. Demetriou plans out for you. There are no metal brackets to attach and no wires to tighten. Just start wearing a new set of aligners approximately every two weeks, until your treatment is complete. You’ll achieve a great smile with little interference in your daily life.
The best part of this process is that most people won’t even know you’re straightening your teeth, unlike metal braces which have a tendency to make people very self-conscious of their appearance.
How is the Treatment Process Completed?
- Talk to an Invisalign provider. Your treatment process will begin when you schedule your initial consultation. During this consultation, you and Dr. Demetriou will discuss your case in detail to determine if you are a good candidate for Invisalign. Invisalign now addresses many different treatment cases, from simple to complex. In determining whether Invisalign is right for you, Dr. Demetriou will answer any questions you may have about the treatment process such as costs, insurance breakdowns, or any other concerns. Once Invisalign is selected as the proper treatment procedure, the next steps can begin.
- A customized treatment plan is created for you. Dr. Demetriou will begin by taking x-rays, pictures, and impressions of your teeth, which will be used to create a 3_D image of them. From these images, the doctor will map out a precise treatment plan, including the exact movements of your teeth, and tell you the approximate length of treatment. Dr. Demetriou will be able to show you a virtual representation of how your teeth will move with each stage of treatment.
- Receive your custom aligners based on your personalized treatment plan. Based on your individual treatment plan, a series of custom-made, clear aligners is created specifically for you. These aligners are made of a smooth, comfortable, and BPA-free plastic that won’t irritate your cheeks and gums, like traditional metal braces often do. You will simply wear them throughout the day, and remove them when you eat, brush, and floss your teeth. As you wear each set of aligners, your teeth will gradually shift into place. Since they are virtually invisible, most people will not even notice you’re wearing them.
- Wear a new aligner every two weeks. Approximately every two weeks, you will begin wearing a new set of aligners, advancing you to the next stage of your treatment. To monitor your progress, you will have occasional checkups with Dr. Demetriou, usually only once every six weeks or so. For the best results and a timely outcome, you should wear your aligners for 20-22 hours per day, throughout your entire treatment. At every stage, you will be able to see how much closer you are to having the smile that reflects the appearance you have always wanted.
- Reveal your new smile and keep it looking great. Congratulations, it’s time to celebrate! You have reached the end of the treatment and you will now be smiling constantly, with more confidence and self-esteem than ever before. Now that your treatment is complete, you should protect the smile you have invested in. Keep up with regular cleanings and don’t forget to brush and floss on a daily basis. IN addition, Dr. Demetriou will tell you if a retainer is necessary to keep your teeth in their new position. If this is the case, a retainer is made from the same clear material as your Invisalign aligners, which will lock in your beautiful smile.
What Problems can Invisalign Correct?
From mild cases of crowded and protruding teeth, to much more complex cases involving malocclusion, overbite, or underbite, Invisalign effectively corrects a wide variety of dental problems. Whether your teeth are widely gapped or overly crowded, Invisalign has an affordable method to straighten your teeth. The dental problems that Invisalign can correct are as follows:
- Gapped Teeth: Gaps can occur with abnormal continued growth of the jawbone, causing the teeth to separate from one another.
- Overbite: When the upper teeth bite over the lower teeth.
- Underbite: When lower teeth protrude past the upper teeth.
- Open Bite: When some teeth are physically unable to make contact with opposing teeth for a proper bite.
- Overly Crowded: When there is a lack of room within your jaw for all your teeth to fit comfortably.
- Cross Bite: When the upper and lower jaws are both misaligned.