If you have a sweet tooth but are conscious of preventing cavities, you may dread having to give up sugar dessert. But you don’t have to! There are plenty of low-sugar recipes out there that you can try. They’ll satisfy your sweet tooth yet won’t do as much damage as those heavy-sugar desserts that you may be accustomed to. Check out these five recipes we found online:
1. Nutty Carrot Cake Bars
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- Fluffy cream cheese frosting (see below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil
- In a bowl, mix all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and baking powder. Add carrot, 1/2 cup of nuts, eggs, oil, and milk.
- Stir, then spread mixture evenly in pan.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes. Spread with frosting and sprinkle remaining nuts.
- For frosting, beat 1/2 cup frozen light whipped topping, 1/2 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, and 1/4 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt.
2. Mixed Berry Crumble Pots
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup date sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3 cups mixed berries
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease four ramekins. Mix rolled oats, date sugar, and coconut oil, placing berries at the bottom of the dish. Place mixture on top. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Chocolate Thins
1 cup dark chocolate squares
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
Toppings like chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds or unsweetened coconut
Line a flat tray with parchment paper. Melt chocolate over low heat with a double boiler. Add coconut oil and cacao powder and combine. Pour onto the tray and sprinkle with toppings. Freeze for half hour.
4. Peanut Butter Cups
7 ounces dark chocolate squares or 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup all-natural peanut butter or sunflower butter
Melt chocolate in double boiler, melting coconut oil into chocolate. Line a baking pan with cupcake liners and scoop mixture into each. Put in freezer for a couple of minutes so it sets. Add a teaspoon of peanut butter in middle and flatten with a spoon. Place melted chocolate over that and return to freezer for 15 minutes.Sugar Dessert
5. Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar substitute
- 1 cup low-fat lemon yogurt
- 6 tablespoons 1% milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 12 muffin cups. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda in large bowl, then whisk. Add blueberries and lemon peel. In a smaller bowl, beat egg, then add oil, sugar substitute, yogurt, milk, and vanilla. Combine both mixtures and spoon into muffin cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
Contact Dr. Demetriou
Have you been going overboard on the sugar lately? Make an appointment now! Call us at 978-794-0010. Enjoy these sugar desserts recipes!Sugar Dessert